Bears take district leader to the wire in 34-37 loss


By A.C. Hall

If you let a good team hang around, they’re likely to shock you, and that’s nearly what happened Friday night as the Bears had a last second chance to knock off one of the district leaders.  Denton Guyer is involved in a three way scrum for dominance of the district, but if they expected to come to BHS and dominate the Bears, they found quickly it was not going to happen.

Over a defensive heavy first quarter and a half, Denton Guyer opened up a 17 – 8 lead over the Bears.  It appeared that the game was close to getting out of reach for Brewer, but then a curious thing happened.

The score remained at 17 – 8 for two minutes, then four minutes, then halftime came and went with the score at 17 – 8, then the third quarter got underway and the score remained 17 – 8.

When all was said and done, the two teams held one another scoreless for over seven minutes.  Once the scoring finally resumed, Denton Guyer remained out in front but still never opened up a dominating lead.

Down by 12 heading into the final quarter, Brewer got aggressive.  They started attacking the basket on nearly every possession.  This tactic has worked for them recently, and it did again here, as they drew a ton of fouls.  The score started to get closer together, and within a few minutes, Brewer was only down by 7.

Just as he was a week ago, Taro Ford was instrumental in the fourth quarter success of the Bears.  Ford hit two huge 3 pointers within a short span, getting Brewer within 1 point and making it 32 – 31.

The player who would finally get the team even was Cameron Brown.  He made the huge basked that tied things at 33, then a minute later, with just thirty seconds left, he sank a free throw that gave the Bears a 34 – 33 lead.  It was their first lead of the game.

This sent the home crowd into a frenzy.  Not only had Brewer’s defense held one of the district leaders to just 33 points for almost four full quarters, but they’d been able to hang around long enough to finally take the lead.

Denton Guyer would quiet the home crowd a bit a few seconds later, as they retook the lead with 16 seconds left in the game.  Down by 1 point, Brewer had the ball and came down the court looking for a season defining win.  Unfortunately, an offensive foul called on the Bears turned the ball over.

The final score was Denton Guyer 37, Brewer 34.  The leading scorer for the Bears was Josh Waters with 10.

A win in this game would’ve been massive for the Bears, putting them in great shape in the district standings and giving them a ton of momentum for the rest of the season.  However, even with the loss it appears that the Bears hold their postseason fate in their own hands.

With three district teams floundering at the bottom of the standings and three teams standing tall at the top, the only two teams in the middle are Brewer and Azle.  Both share a similar record right now, and if Brewer can stay the course and win the games over lesser teams in the coming weeks, they should be poised to make the playoffs.

The Bears will be back in action at home on February 1 against Denton.  That game will tipoff at 7:30 p.m.