Dedication ceremony marks 80 years for CCC

ccc-mosque-point

Between 1934 and 1937, young men involved in the Civilian Conservation Corps planned and built trails, picnic areas and stone shelter houses around Lake Worth.
After 80 years, it’s time to pay tribute to these men and their lasting contributions to Fort Worth’s parks.
A dedication ceremony for a new Civilian Conservation Corps Memorial Monument is scheduled for 10 a.m. May 30. The ceremony will be at Peninsula Club Circle and Watercress Drive on the north shore of Lake Worth.
The monument marks the site where CCC Camp 1816 was located. During their stay here, the men of Camp 1816 built a multitude of masterful structures around the lake, including the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge.
The Civilian Conservation Corps was created by the federal government in 1933 during the Great Depression. Thousands of unemployed men were enrolled in an unprecedented national conservation workforce to reclaim and preserve our nation’s natural resources of forests, parks and eroded farmlands.
Men of the civilian “Tree Army” were housed in tents and barracks, fed, clothed and given medical care by the U.S. Army. They moved in 200-man companies to camps often in remote areas, national and state parks and forests or on local lands.
Local CCC structures include shelters at Mosque Point, Casino Beach, Broadview Park, Lone Point, Rest-a-While and many other picnic areas around the lake.

Advertisements