Brewer beats Chisholm Trail 35-14

Photo by Andrew Villacis
Photo by Andrew Villacis

by A.C. Hall

The Bears headed to Chisholm Trail High School on Friday night seeking to keep their winning ways going.  Currently sitting at 1 and 0 in district play, a win over the Chisholm Trail Rangers would go a long way in helping Brewer’s playoff hopes.
As the game got underway, Brewer running back Jameson Carson immediately established his dominance.  Brewer quarterback Brian Kueck didn’t throw the ball much in the contest, but when he did he made it count.  His first pass of the game was a long 46 yard bomb to Brian Lopez for a touchdown.  That score put Brewer up 7 – 0 as they capped off an impressive 97 yard drive.
The Chisholm Trail Rangers weren’t giving up easily, and answered quickly with a long bomb touchdown pass of their own.  This 52 yard pass tied the game at 7 – 7 and set the stage for a shootout between the teams.
As the Bears looked to retake the lead, they found a long drive dying out within the 10 yard line.  When the team failed to convert on a fourth down play they turned the ball over to the Rangers.
After a fast moving and fast paced first quarter, the second quarter was marred with turnovers.  Brewer recovered not one, but two fumbles in the quarter, only to fumble themselves when they were closing in on another touchdown.  This made the score 7 – 7 at halftime.
When play resumed it took just one play for Jameson Carson to take control of the game.  In the first play of the third quarter, Carson broke free for an incredible 77 yard touchdown run.  The score put Brewer up 14 – 7.
Just as they did in the first quarter, Chisholm Trail answered with a quick score of their own.  They got down the field in a hurry before finishing their drive with a short touchdown run that tied the game at 14 – 14.
On the next Brewer drive, Carson continued his monstrous game, gaining several first downs as the Brewer offense mounted another promising drive.  This was followed by a scary moment, when Carson remained down on the turf following a play.  He was down for some time before being helped to the sideline with what appeared to be some sort of a leg injury.
Backup running back Tre’ Johnson filled in for Carson admirably, breaking a great 29 yard rushing touchdown that made it Brewer 21, Chisholm Trail 14.
Even with the success Johnson was having, Carson returned to the game in the fourth quarter.  He ran the ball once before going down injured for a second time that night.  While it appeared that this would signal the end to his night, Carson reappeared a few minutes later.  This time he ran the ball once before hobbling to the sideline and collapsing.  Despite leaving the game injured three times, Carson was used once more a few minutes later to secure a first down for the Bears.  Following that play he limped to the sideline.
Brewer’s defense continued to keep the Rangers stifled as the fourth quarter wound down.  The Bears seized on this, scoring two more touchdowns to take a commanding 35 – 14 lead.  That would end up being the final score in the game.
Carson finished the night with an impressive 211 yards rushing on 23 attempts.  In some of his best work so far this season, Tre’ Johnson ended the night with 96 yards on 14 runs.  He had 2 touchdowns as well.